People First of Louisiana:
- Is a self advocacy group run by people with disabilities, for people with disabilities.
- Where people learn to speak up for themselves about decisions they make.
- Members can connect with others in their community, across the nation and around the world.
- Members learn about their rights and responsibilities as citizens of the United States of America.
If you would like to join People First, see the “Organization’s Information” section.
People First of Louisiana supports people with disabilities to empower themselves in becoming effective decision makers, to gain more independence, and enjoy life as equal citizens of the United States of America.
People with disabilities build personal visions that are reached through respect, equality and many different experiences that lead to choices and life decisions.
People with disabilities support one another to control their own lives, understand and speak up for their rights and live up to their responsibilities.
Disability is Natural:
“Disability is a natural part of the human experience and in no way diminishes the right of individuals to
- live independently;
- enjoy self-determination;
- make choices;
- contribute to society;
- pursue meaningful careers; and
- enjoy full inclusion and integration in the economic, political, social, cultural, and educational mainstream of American society.”